· Our 5G Letter Mail Out to businesses is complete! We mailed over 400 alert letters to businesses within close proximity to the purposed 5G tower locations. A huge shout out to those members who completed this daunting task!
· Members are working together to file various FOIA (Freedom of Information Act) requests with the City and County for lists or approved and pending tower site applications, master agreements, etc, regarding small cell infrastructure. As we gather more information, it will be posted here and shared via our e-newsletter alerts. Be sure to sign up on the contact us page.
· The costs of "oppose 5G" initiatives are mounting up. We are looking into ways to raise funds for future projects, legal initiatives and community outreach.
*** "ADOPT & EDUCATE" YOUR CITY COUNCIL MEMBER Project***
We have found council woman, Carol Jackson, continues to be an ally and have empathy for 5G concerns. Our Charleston city council is made up of 12 men and women that are aware of this issue, but might not fully grasp the issue. Each city council member needs to know at least ONE person in our group well.....well enough to trust information you give him/her. This will require personal outreach with phone calls or Zoom calls a request for a personal meeting, cup of coffee, etc. An investment of time and energy here will make a HUGE difference to our city taking a stand against 5G deployment (as we have seen with other cities), and we MUST have the support of our city council members in this matter! We can't state enough the importance here.
2) If you decide to "adopt" your council member, please send us an email through the Contact Us page and let us know which councilperson is yours. We will send you a step-by-step intro of how to approach them, resources you can share to inform them about 5G concerns and exactly how City Council can stand up for Charleston.
LETTER CAMPAIGN TO BUSINESSES & HOMES NEAR 5G TOWERS & PROPOSED TOWERS
We are doing well with this massively huge project! The purpose of the letter campaign is to notify those who work and live around proposed and already installed towers of the various concerns. There is contact information to plug in to our group should they want to take action. Here is our current status, and our need for more volunteers. We are even getting the kids involved!
· West Ashley (Verizon) letters have been mailed out to businesses around tower sites.
· Letters sent to businesses located near towers in the first section of Crown Castle list.
· AT&T businesses and addresses have been compiled. Letters to be mailed out this week or next.
· Business addresses compiled for all sites for Crown Castle tower sites.
· People to split the Crown Castle list and mail out letters to the businesses contact list. Letters and addresses provided.
· A volunteer to help us google the addresses of remaining businesses located near the Crown Castle tower sites.
COVID PAUSE INSTALL REQUESTS - Our group has requested of the city that the approval of 5G site applications and the installation of antennas be paused during the COVID pandemic. Neither site approvals or antenna/tower installation have been paused, actually the deployment seems to have accelerated. We also submitted a request to Dominion Energy to halt the approval process on their approvals for 5G infrastructure to be installed on their utility poles and lamp posts. Dominion responded with a link to the 2018 FCC order, saying that mandates the placement of telecom on electricity utility poles. We responded that the 2018 FCC order is not law and that slowing or pausing approvals would be doing what is right for South Carolina Citizens. We need to continue to contact Utilities.... see resources to do so on the Take Action / Utilities Link of the website.
CURRENT ANTENNA APPLICATIONS FOR DOWNTOWN - The city honored our FOIA request for an updated list of Charleston Small Cell Site Applications for the installation company Crown Castle. Click this link to see the most updated list for this particular 5G infrastructure installation provider (there are several companies with plans to install and we will updated via email alerts)
CCSD SCHOOLS - This is the link to the full list of Milestone Communications proposed antenna sites. We need to lobby CCSD to terminate their agreement with Milestone Communications, so the possibility of towers/antennas on our schools will be eliminated. ***We are in need of a volunteer to organize an effort to demand the termination of CCSD's contract agreement with 5G infrastructure provider Milestone Communications.
CLARIFICATION ON THE DIFFERENT LISTS We are going to have to monitor and lobby against several 5G infrastructure / cell provider companies and just as many jurisdictions. If you don't see information on your area of town, please contact your city municipality. We are happy to post whatever can be gathered and verified.
The Crown Castle list is towers/antennas under the jurisdiction of the City of Charleston. Those tower/antennas will be on the public right-of-ways / sidewalks of Charleston City. We requested this list of tower locations through the FOIA (Freedom of Information Act).
The Milestone Communications list is towers proposed on CCSD schools, libraries, etc. These applications are approved by Charleston County School District. The city of Charleston does not make the decision about these proposed tower applications.